Tuesday, June 5, 2012

what about the chiropractor?

Gentle Reader,


When struggling with arthritis pain, did you turn to a chiropractor?  It depends on what sort of arthritic pain you are having--an acute traumatically induced pain, or a chronic low level arthritis ache.  My first approach after massage was to get to the chiropractor to see if she could ease the L 5 enough so that it would slip back into place.  


A ruptured disc, in my opinion, can be helped a great deal by a chiropractor.  In my case it certainly improved my pain level to have several adjustments of the lower back and other sections of the spine within a few days of the injury.  I was not calling my suffering "arthritis" induced pain.  I was only 54 and had no other symptoms.  


Arthritis or injury that results in sciatica and other tingly sensations and loss of feeling in the lower limbs can be helped by a good chiropractor. According to an alternative medicine web site, the basis for chiropractic care is centered in the body’s ability to heal itself. By correcting joint and spine dislocations, a chiropractor helps increase range of motion in the body, which assists in movement.


The neurologist who treats the University of Washington sports teams was my doctor after the herniation of L5.  You can read about that trauma here.  He advised me to build strong muscles and keep the poor quality bones in my spine lined up by chiropractic and pilates.  I don't remember him actually suggesting chiropractic, but I found one whose technique included gentle tapping with an activator.  


Dr. Dave Kirdahy of Pinehurst Chiropractic is not a bone cracker.  He diagnoses misalignment by energetically moving his hands just above the surface of the body.  He can tell where the patient is out of alignment, gently pulse the skeletal structure back into position.  And he can take a reading to see when you need to return.  It seems I can stay lined up pretty well with the various things I do here at home and a very occasional visit to him. 


There are several methods or schools of chiropractic.  You can read about them here.  I am not really sure how Dr. Kirdahy would categorize his practice.  


I have also gone to the traditional Palmer School chiropractor where 3 visits a week were prescribed and paid for by the auto insurance I carried.  An auto accident can activate every pain path you ever had from whatever injury you suffered in the past.  This more common frequent adjustment, interspersed with massage and later electric pulse acupuncture, made for faster healing from the auto accident and was paid for by the insurance company.  Dr. Malinda Maxwell's practice on Capitol Hill in Seattle was a Godsend for me.  My first husband had recently died and I was not totally present when driving, resulting in several minor crashes.  Not good.  On the other hand, the beautiful care and positive environment of a chiropractor's office can be the perfect medicine for a distraught and grieving widow.  After my 2nd husband's death, I found another caring office where my body received tender care and my doctor, Dr. Steve Polenz, guided my nutrition for better emotional stability, digestion and internal balance.  I have experienced the whole range of chiropractic care.  Each has given me something of great value.


Let our readers know your experience with chiropractic and arthritis, or for any other physical condition.  We would like to hear your story in the comment section.  


Be Well, Do Well and Keep Moving,
Betsy
Betsybells Health4U
4455 51st Ave. SW
Seattle, WA 98116
www.HiHoHealth.com  shopping for Shaklee

2 comments:

  1. It never fails to frustrate me when someone comes in for a session and almost every time complains about the same thing over and over and over again without actually taking my advice or doing something about it. Chiropractor doctor Calgary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very useful post. This is my first time i here. I found so many interesting stuff in your thread especially its discussion. Really its great thread. Keep it up. Regards: Mount Martha Chiropractor

    ReplyDelete